About this vacancy
For our international client, we are currently searching for a Director, Controls Engineer.
The Director of Controls Engineering oversees the Controls
Engineering department. This position insures project completion on
schedule. The position also works with the Sales Team on special
projects (i.e., ones that require new machines to be designated or
ones that require change to previous designs).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must
satisfactorily perform each essential duty. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential duties.
- Cooperate closely with Director Mechanical Engineering BPA in
the Application Engineering and Engineering phase.
- Cooperate with Service Manager BluePrint Automation for all
Service and Aftermarket related topics that require Controls
- Establish and lead a Controls Engineering group coherent with
budget and growth.
- Generate technical concepts, layouts, technical calculations
and cost calculations.
- Develop code standards and standard code modules across the
Controls Engineering team.
- Assure high quality in the testing phase.
- Makes customer site visits as necessary to help solve in field
- Develop and improve all controls engineering related processes
in close cooperation with Controls Engineering BluePrint
- Continuous process improvements, best practices development,
and education activities for all Controls Engineering related
areas.10. High awareness of client satisfaction level and client
- Support lessons learned meetings with team members after
completion of programs/projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Position functions semi-autonomously, or with supervision.
Position directly supervises 10 employees. Carry out supervisory
responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and
applicable laws. Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring,
and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work;
appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees;
addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Plans projects, considering budget and workforce; selects people;
delegates tasks and responsibilities to others; provides coaching
and feedback; rewards and motivates; builds relationships with
others at all levels within the organization; makes time available
for subordinates (at both leaders' and employees' request); gets
results through others; responsible for success of direct reports
and for the team overall; visibly demonstrates integrity.
- Employee Development - Encourages employees to do an honest
assessment of their job responsibilities and determine where they
may have skill shortfalls or skills not being fully utilized.
Endorses employees' attendance at classes and activities that
support BluePrint's objectives, development plans, and goals.
Discusses what employees learned in classes and support the
integration of new ideas/methods into their work
- Delegation - Clearly and comfortably delegates both routine and
important tasks and decisions; broadly shares both responsibility
and accountability; tends to trust people to perform; lets direct
reports finish their own work.
- Planning - Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks
and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the
process steps; develops schedules and task/people assignments;
anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures
performance against goals; evaluates results.
- Conflict Management - Steps up to conflict, seeing them as
opportunities; reads situations quickly; good at focused listening;
can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; can
find common ground and get cooperation with minimum noise.
- Customer Focus - Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and
requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand
customer information and uses it for improvements in products and
services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains
effective relationships with customers and gains trust and
Constantly (60%-100%) Sitting Walking Standing, Stooping,
Infrequently (15-50%) Carrying/Lifting up to 40 lbs
Infrequently (15-50%) Able to work in a warehouse like
environment; cement floors, loud noises, and frequent
This functional description in no way states or implies that
these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this
position. Each employee will be required to follow any other
job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give
instructions or assignments.
With its three legal entities in the Americas, our client is a
privately held company with outstanding financial and market
performance. Being market leader in some very important segments of
food packaging automation our client looks back to a successful
history of 35 years and is a much respected partner in the
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Electrical
Engineering, Manufacturing, Computer Science or related field and
10 years of experience in a manufacturing or engineering
environment that involves motion controls and robotic experience
preferably in the packaging automation industry. However, a
combination of experience and/or education will be taken into
- Demonstrated ability to direct and manage resources, make
decisions, solve problem, exercise good judgment and flexibility
and maintain budgets and schedule.
- Demonstrated ability to program motion control systems and
- Proactively monitor internal resources to ensure application
lead times are coherent with existing capacities and capabilities.
Strong understanding of the design of complex packaging automation
- Strong understanding of robotic and PLC programming (Ladder and
- Strong understanding of the current application platforms: AB
- Strong understanding of mechanical robotic setups and upstream
and downstream equipment.
- Strong understanding in code standardization and
- Ability to interact with clients from project initiation
through the entire development and manufacturing process.
- High result orientation and cost sensitivity.
- Knowledge of electrical engineering development process
utilizing CAD or related engineering software techniques.
- Knowledge of PLC and software development.
- Highly developed customer and goal orientation.
- Hands on mentality, leading by example.